Sony Electronics announced significant new offerings in the areas of video, imaging, and fitness at its Executive Press Roundtable event held Sept. 15 at its New York headquarters.
While many of the products were previously announced recently at the IFA electronics show in Berlin, this event marked the U.S. premiere of these products, and Sony had at least one U.S.-exclusive announcement for this press conference as well.
The event began with an address from Sony Electronics President and COO Mike Fasulo, who spoke of his ambition for Sony to be “a company that inspires and fulfills your creativity.”
Fasulo spoke of another goal for the company, that of a “perfect alignment from the areas we represent”:
- The premium home experience (high-end video presentation)
- Imaging, which he said “cuts across much of what we do”
- Audio, which he called “our heritage,” and “a critical part of what we do”
Fasulo then listed some achievements he's implemented since being named Sony Electronics president in 2013:
- The establishment of Sony Experience Centers in 380 Best Buy stores
- Setting up Sony camera shops at 130 Best Buys
- Sony Experience Centers planned for nine Best Buy Canada stores
“But we haven't forgotten local retailers as well,” he stated, adding that the company is working to give them additional resources.
“We know online is critically important,” Fasulo said, discussing the company's revised Sony.com website, which now includes expanded product pages and a dealer locator.
Sony Electronics is planning to bring hi-res listening stations to retail as well in coming years.
Fasulo's address also covered Sony's financial growth over the past two years. “We're up 13 percent in sales to plan,” he said, adding that “these are premium sales. We've walked away from commodity (sales).”