Among the flurry of announcements from four-year-old Origin Acoustics were product innovations that are designed to meet hot-button demands in the market – including items that CEO Nick Berry said would anticipate “the future of landscape and the future of design in outdoor environments.”
One specific and unique “exterior audio” model to that end that was shown at a pre-CEDIA press conference was the Seasons line Bollard Outdoor Speaker – a combination subwoofer/satellite hybrid cylindrical speaker that the company’s Dave Donald characterized as “a different approach to landscape.”
Each Bollard has its own 6.5-inch subwoofer in the base of each enclosure. Burying the small sub base in the ground, the larger portion of the enclosure is hidden. The upper structure is a round enclosure design and houses the down-firing 4-inch mid/ high-frequency transducer 18 inches above the ground. This driver, said Origin, reflects off of an acoustic lens that can be either 360 degrees omnidirectional or limited to 180 degrees – and it is adjustable either way via a removable sleeve.
That was but one highlight of a series at the event; other introductions included:
- Three new thin-fit SKUs that take up less space than standard-depth speakers
- A new rock speaker line that includes 6-inch full-range, 8-inch full-range, and 8-inch subwoofer models
- The new Explorer Collection marine-grade speaker line that is highly moisture-resistant, with coated grilles, hardware, and crossovers
- The initiation of a custom soundbar business
- The Marquee Theater line of high-performance speakers, one member of which is a 15-inch 1,000-watt subwoofer
- An Amazon Echo Dot Wall Mount, added to the company’s Valet system, for inexpensive and simplified in-wall installation.
Origin, said Berry, has completed its transition from California to a 42,000-square-foot Las Vegas facility that includes a showroom and a teaching facility – which has already attracted visits from 500 dealers, he said. The company has also opened a facility outside Greensboro, N.C.