LG launches new line of affordable OLED displays
On Thursday, LG Electronics announced that it is launching a new line of OLED TVs at aggressive price points in order to move the technology “from an aspirational, early-adopter product” into a more mainstream category. And, on top of the new TVs, LG said it will reduce prices more than 30 percent on existing OLED models.
LG said that in less than a year it has tripled the number of models in its OLED portfolio, introducing models in 55-, 65-, and 77-inch class sizes, both curved and flat screens, and with 1080p Full HD and 4k Ultra HD resolutions. The company said it will highlight its new line of OLED TVs at the Custom Electronic Design and Installation Association’s (CEDIA) trade show next week in Dallas, where LG is the “Exclusive CEDIA Expo 2015 Partner,” the company said.
“OLED TV is not just a new TV — it’s an entirely new category of television that delivers what experts and consumers alike are hailing as the best picture ever, a clear indication that OLED is here to stay,” William Cho, President and CEO, LG Electronics USA, said in a statement. “LG is the first and only manufacturer to deliver OLED TV to U.S. consumers, and our vision is to make this revolutionary technology more attainable by more consumers at prices comparable to many LED TV models on the market.”
LG said the ability to reduce prices on its OLED models has to do with “significant manufacturing efficiencies” the company has achieved recently. The new pricing is effective immediately, and instant rebates that the company is offering are in effect for the remainder of the year.
Here’s a look at the lineup of new TVs and the new pricing structure, via LG:
EF9500 Series: Flat OLED 4K Ultra HD TVs
- 55-inch class (54.6 inches diagonal) 55EF9500 (New net price – $2,999): Price move from $5,499 to $3,999, and a $1,000 instant rebate.
- 65-inch class (64.5 inches diagonal) 65EF9500 (New net price – $4,999): Price move from $6,999 to $5,999, and a $1,000 instant rebate.
EG9600: Art Slim Curved OLED 4K TVs
- 55-inch class (54.6 inches diagonal) 55EG9600 (New net price – $2,999): Price move from $5,499 to $3,999 and a $1000 instant rebate.
- 65-inch class (64.5 inches diagonal) 65EG9600 (New net price – $4,999): Price move from $6,999 to $5,999 and a $1000 instant rebate.
55EG9100: Full HD Curved OLED TV
- New 55-inch class (54.6 inches diagonal) 55EG9100 (Net price – $1,999): Priced at $2,499, with an instant rebate of $500, starting week of Oct. 18.
55EC9300: Full HD Curved OLED TV
- Current 55-inch class (54.6 inches diagonal) 55EC9300 is now available at the record-low price of $1,799 while supplies last.
The new 55-inch class Full HD Curved OLED TV, priced at $1,999, is more than 85 percent lower than the price of LG’s first generation 55-inch class model, which first sold for $14,999 just two years ago, the company said.