Survey Results: Outdoor Systems
In the April issue of CustomRetailer, we asked our readership to answer 11 questions on designing and installing outdoor systems in today’s market place. This information helps us all grasp the realities and opportunities in selling systems in the great outdoors.
CustomRetailer conducted the following survey using Zoomerang, a nationally recognized company, to compile the results. Participants, are assured of the confidentiality of their responses since we see only the data, not the providers of the information.
1. Are you actively installing outdoor electronics for your customers?
87% of respondents are actively installing outdoor systems.
2. If so, what technology are they most interested in having in their own outdoor space?
Almost 100% of respondents still cite outdoor audio as being the primary outdoor A/V wish. Approximately 50% of those would also like outdoor television. There is an increasing interest in outdoor audio being delivered via iPod. Also important are lighting, wireless A/V, security systems and outdoor projection systems.
3. For those clients that do not want an outdoor system, what is the reason usually given?
The largest number of respondents cited lack of interest in A/V outdoors or a poor climate. However, this was followed very closely by budget and money constraints. Far down the list was the concern over disturbing the neighbors, and our personal favorite response was: ‘When a random customer doesn’t want audio or video outside, it is usually the same customer [who] only wants basic structured cable. We file them under boring customers!”
4. What percentage of your business includes residential outdoor entertainment systems?
The largest response was below 15% of their business with the second being between 15-30% of their business. This accounted for about 60% of respondents.
5. What percentage of your outdoor electronics business is residential?
Almost 100% of respondents are in the residential outdoor market.