Control4 Launches New Entry-Level Automation Controller at ISE
When dealing with technologies, it can sometimes feel like a game of pick two of these three traits - fast, cheap, or good. The fast and cheap is never good, the good and cheap is never fast, and the fast and good is never cheap.
But don't bother telling that to Control4, they wouldn't believe you anyways.
Launched at ISE 2018, the $350 CA-1 controller has all the best traits of a competent automation controller with the assurance of quality only Control4 can offer. Stuffed with familiar I/O such as WiFi, Zigbee, Ethernet, and serial control - just like the flagship EA line - Control4 has upped the ante with an optional Z-Wave module. It even features Power-over-Ethernet so it can be incorporated into almost any build.
“The emerging range of smart locks, thermostats, lights, and cameras available today have certainly raised consumer awareness for the promise of the smart connected home,” said Martin Plaehn, Chairman and CEO, Control4. “Homeowners, as well as home builders and building developers, are looking for more than a just collection of independent, smart devices. Our new CA-1 and industry-leading Control4 OS deliver that needed capability and customer experience – orchestrating all of the smart devices in a home.”
Control4 is very interested in hitting the ground level of affordable builds with this device. It's no secret that the next generation of clients (read millennials) are more inclined to technology, but only if the price is right. But the bigger problem remains in educating consumers on all the benefits of a connected home. The introduction of Amazon's Alexa and Samsung's SmarterThings have done a lot to convince early adopters of their benefits, but not the entirety. It's promising to see a tastemaker in the CI industry unveil such robust and affordable products, but there is still the duality of trying to capture a skeptical audience that can't afford full-blown install with more affordable products.
Either way, this is a step in the right direction. Not only will integrators get more bang for their buck, they won't be forced to compromise on a budget.
“The CA-1 utilizes the industry-proven Control4 platform and broad device ecosystem so our dealers can immediately succeed with the skills, resources, and expertise that they already have,” added Plaehn. “This is not a dialed-down version of the Control4 OS nor a compromise; this is a new category of automation controller designed to meet the connected home demands of home builders, building developers, and their buyers.”
The new Control4 CA-1 comes in white for a discrete wall, closet, and shelving installations. The CA-1 is available and shipping globally at $350 U.S. MSRP with a two-year warranty. The CA-1 will be featured at Integrated Systems Europe in Amsterdam from February 6 to 9, 2018 in the Control4 stand 10-N130.
CONTROL4 CA-1 AUTOMATION CONTROLLER
The Control4® CA-1 Automation Controller is the perfect entry point into Control4 automation built around security, comfort, and convenience solutions. It has built-in control for IP, ZigBee®, and serial devices, plus an internal slot for a Z-Wave Plus™ module (sold separately). It is designed for homeowners, builders, MDUs, and hotels that want smart experiences that include smart lighting, thermostats, door locks, cameras, sensors, shades, and more.
The CA-1 is the foundation that makes smart products work together to deliver rich, orchestrated automation —the smart home experience homeowners truly want.
• The simplest way to experience the Control4 Smart Home
• Orchestrated automation for door locks, shades, cameras, sensors, and lighting
• Built on Control4’s proven OS and ecosystem
• Built-in connectivity for IP, ZigBee, and serial devices
• Expansion slot for optional Z-Wave module
• Perfect for broad-scale deployments
• Can be powered by PoE—making it an ideal tool to expand ZigBee in larger Control4 installations
- Model number | C4-CA1
- Network | Ethernet—10/100BaseT compatible (required for controller setup), PoE supported
- Wireless | Wireless N (2.4 GHz, 802.11n/g/b)
- Wireless security | WEP, WPA, and WPA2
- Wireless antenna | External reverse SMA connector
- ZigBee Pro | 802.15.4
- ZigBee antenna | External reverse SMA connector
- USB port | 2 USB 2.0 ports, 500mA
- Serial out | 1 serial out RJ45 port (RS-232)
- Z-Wave | Integrated expansion slot accepts Control4 Z-Wave modules (sold separately)
- Z-Wave modules | C4-ZWE, C4-ZWH, C4-ZWU (sold separately)
- Power requirements | 5VDC 3A, external power supply included
- Power supply | AC power supply accepts 100-240V ~ 50-60 Hz (0.5A)
- PoE | 802.3af (<13W)
- Power consumption | Max 15W (51 BTU/hr)
- Operating temperature | 32 ̊ ~ 104 ̊F (0 ̊ ~ 40 ̊C)
- Storage temperature | 4 ̊ ~ 158 ̊F (-20 ̊ ~ 70 ̊C)
- Dimensions (H × W × D) | 5.5 × 5.5 × 1.25" (14 × 14 × 3.8 cm)
- Weight | 0.65 lb (0.3 kg)
- Shipping weight | 1.5 lb (0.68 kg)